Thursday, September 3, 2009

This Week in Philippine Rap: Nagmahal ako ng Bakla




While looking for a possible important event or person to mock and piss off, I stumbled upon an interesting channel in You Tube that features homemade music videos made by Filipino Rappers (Or as I call them, Out of School Youth). I could not stop from laughing at songs that truly lacked creativity and sense so much that it should belong to a new genre, namely Comedy Music. But I must say that I am impressed with their efforts to come up with a decent song I still have one message for them: Go to School!!

Don't take me wrong, I don't hate Filipino Rap. In fact, I grew up listening to rap myself. Francis M. was my hero and I memorized Can't Touch This by MC Hammer like they were my country's national anthem. It just sucks that a lot of kids nowadays think that the secret to create a good song is to focus your effort in creating a bad and mean gangster image who grew up in the mean streets of Tondo. One word of advice kids, Vanilla Ice did not win any Grammy!

So if I were to enter the minds of these street loving rascals I'd be able to hypothesize their song writing process.

Rapper 1: "Yo tol! alam mo yung Careless Whisper?"
Rapper 2: " Oo tol, laki ng boobs ni Katrina Halili e!"
Rapper 1: "Bilis kunin natin yung Chorus may naisip akong magandang i-rap dun!"
Rapper 2: "Sige ba! dapat may tungkol sa iniwan ako ng babae tapos away ng gang tapos paggamit ng rugby!"

Verse 1:

Putang ina ng mga babaeng nangiiwan
Sarap basagin ng mga ulo magrugby na lang tayo
ang hirap ng buhay dito sa kalye sa tondo
baka magripuhan ka lang nga mga sisiga-siga dito!

Chorus:

I'm never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythm
Though it's easy to pretend
I know You're not a fool (Stupid)



So you need a good chorus from some known song, put in lyrics about girls, violence, gangs and drug use and rap like a freaking announcer in a horse race track! That's basically it! Post it in youtube and wait for people to insult it.

So this song that really caught my attention is not really different from the rest. I just found it to be funny and appreciate the effort put in by the songwriters to inject humor and sarcasm in the lyrics. But still, the song's worth nothing but shit and only succeeds in degrading the gay community. So though the lyrics are funny, funny is not the only thing a song needs to be seen as an art.

So my conclusion, until another Francis Magalona appears to save Philippine rap I see a Filipino rap scene full of wannabe-gangsters, malnourished children, poor lyrics and uncreative music. So while I rant about how this ruined my day maybe listening to it would put a smile on your face. I could say that this is so bad it became funny as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment